children's writer

Southern Fried Fiction

Jul 30, 2011
Southern Gothics are becoming quite a huge trend in YA. I think they might be the next big thing. There's just something about old, creepy plantations and characters that are a lot more superstitious than they need to be, that makes this a trend to die for, literally. I may be biased, but I think this is one of those trends that I won't be able to get enough of. I've been really into the Gothics lately.

Here are three Southern novels I can't wait to get my hands on. Gothic or not, they're definitely gems.

Small Town Sinners by Melissa Walker
Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore
Hourglass by Myra McEntire

What do you think is going to be the next big thing in YA fiction?
5 comments on "Southern Fried Fiction"
  1. Good call, this has been a rising trend. In paranormal romance, especially, with the Caster Chronicles and The Magnolia League and others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is. I'm looking forward to more novels like them.

    Thanks for the comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Hourglass at the store and thought it looked awesome. Really really cool.

    But really, I think the book I finished the first draft to last night is going to be the next big thing. :) One can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Hourglass. And yes, one can dream. :)

    ReplyDelete