Jul 13, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

It's the third and last day of the readathon. And, as if i already didn't know there was no way in hell I could finish eight novels in three days, I didn't. Although, I'm proud to have finished a novel and such a great one at that. I think I've also developed some weird fey fetish.

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. 

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. 

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

What I Thought

Does Nevernever actually exist? Or is Mrs. Kagawa just that awesome at world building. Everything was so well done to the point where I’m absolutely sure if faeries were real, Mrs. Kagawa would know how and where to find them. I really loved this book. I loved how diverse the world of Nevernever was, from sirens to bogarts, I couldn't help getting excited every time a creature I’d heard of before popped out of nowhere, frightening the characters but of course, entertaining me. The cat, Grimalkin, was by far my favorite.

The characters were relatable, funny, and unpredictable. I found sympathy for Meghan Chase in the earlier chapters of the novel, but sometimes thought she was hasty, a little too hasty for her own good. There were times where I wanted to scream at her. And sometimes, I really just thought she should listen to the cat.

I was torn in the later chapters of the novel between the two likely love interests, who I thought were both good choices for Meghan. And I’m interested to see how all three of their relationships develop in the later novels. They both cared about her so much they risked their own lives to see her to the end of her journey, even disregarding their own quarrel along the way, although not at first.

The scenes between her and The Iron King I honestly thought could have gone both ways. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

If you haven’t already read, The Iron King, you should. Because It’s fun, well written, and utterly unpredictable.


Published February 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen
Image and summary from Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love this series! I love this review! I can't wait to see what you think about the rest of the books in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It is my new favorite series even after just reading the first book. I love it.

    ReplyDelete