Jan 2, 2014

Write to the Moon


The night before last I read parts 3 and 4 of Susan Dennard's series: How I Plan A Book. I had these posts saved in Pocket for weeks now and I'm so glad I finally read them.

Magical cookies? Screenplays? I'd never been so entertained by one writer's method in my life. I think anyone who mentions cookies will forever have my undivided attention. If you haven't read these posts yet, magical cookies are what makes you want to write that particular story. She says every scene should be a magical cookie scene. As they say, if you're bored then your readers will be too.

I've now passed the 10k mark in my MG fantasy, WE ARE SHINING. The current chapter opens with my main characters at a flower shop. The original purpose of this scene was to introduce another character who dislikes one of my main characters. The tension would have been great if only I hadn't wimped out. I convinced myself to save the tension for a later scene, which one should never do. One should never save the goodies for later when their readers are hungry now. As I read through that scene, my anxiety grew. I couldn't wait for it to end. I couldn't wait to move on to the good stuff.

Of course readers might not be as patient. My entire book should be one big magical cookie, funfetti preferably. So rewrite I shall. Hopefully the story will be better for it. One of my 2014  resolutions is to write every day. At least 500 words. I tend to back-pedal a lot while I write. The magical cookie analogy will help a ton. If I can't think of one reason why I want to write a scene then I won't. Easy-peasy!

I did come up with three reasons why I want to write this book:

  • I loved making wishes as a child, especially on stars. 
  • I love the sweet, innocence of childhood.
  • I love the idea of having a friend like Axel (the star).

The good thing is -- and I can tell by how warm and fuzzy I  feel -- I will love this story to the end.


"To the moon and back, remember?"

I truly hope your 2014 is off to a wonderful, writerly start.

Photo credit: Merelize 

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Tracey! May it be a year full of magical cookies and wishing on stars. And a year where your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie! I wish the same for you.

      Delete
  2. I want to read Susan Dennard's four-part series! I must look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to read Susan Dennard's series, it sounds really cool, and might be the kick up the backside I need to whip my WIP into shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helped me. It's the newest thing in my toolkit. Those WIPs need to be whipped. ;D

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! I hope there are piles upon piles of funfetti magical cookies for you in 2014. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to magical cookies for everyone! Thanks, Megan!

      Delete
  5. You had me at cookies. I'm about to start drafting, and I think I'm going to have to makeit a goal to have every scene be a magic cookie funfetti fest. Maybe with some unicorns or something else for a little extra fun. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, thinking of my scenes this way has certainly left me inspired. I'm glad you think magical funfetti cookies are awesome too. Thanks for stopping by, Madeline!

      Bring on the unicorns.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way of putting it. Magical cookies in every scene! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jaye! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete