Dec 11, 2013

Quick Thoughts on The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I began reading The Book Thief sometime in October. I sped through the first few hundred pages and petered out when I couldn't muster up the enthusiasm to deal with anything that had to to with words. After two months, I've finally finished. My eyes are probably a bit swollen and the tears, though dry, are still on my cheeks. I have a confession: I hate crying over books. I feel so silly when I do.

At one point, while I read the last few chapters, I asked, "Why are you doing this to me?" I will miss these characters. It sucks that they only exist in this book. I had to remind myself that Liesel Meminger isn't a real person. She felt so real. They felt so real. I hope I'll get to see the movie soon.

"She tore a page from the book and ripped it in half. 
Then a chapter. 
Soon, there was nothing but scraps of words littered between her legs and all around her. The words. Why did they have to exist? Without them, there wouldn't be any of this. Without words, the Fuhrer was nothing. There would be no limping prisoners, no need for consolation or wordly tricks to make us feel better.
What good were the words?"

7 comments:

  1. I still need to read this beautiful book. I know I'll cry, so I keep putting it aside for more lighthearted fare. Must set a deadline for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a hauntingly beautiful read that will certainly step on your heart. Thanks for stopping by, Jess. I'd love to know what you think once you've read it.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh... this sounds so powerful... I still can't believe I haven't read this yet... Thanks for sharing this, Tracey. I totally get self conscious when I bawl with a book, LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Morgan! I hate crying over books, but I like when a story can take me there.

      It is a powerful read.

      Delete
  3. I loved that book so much! And I agree, the characters are so real! I loved Liesel and Rudy, they were both very real characters for me. And you shouldn't feel silly for crying over a book! There's nothing wrong with fictional characters finding a place in your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Rachel! I think it's one of the books I'll probably take out once in a while to flip through and be inspired.

      Delete
  4. This story shows how patient love can heal a damaged spirit and that the best gifts don't cost any money. It also shows that kindness and compassion are liabilities in a world ruled by evil and that war claims its victims in many ways.

    I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read.
    Seattle Janitorial Service information

    ReplyDelete