Mar 18, 2013

Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest

Alex J. Cavanaugh is hosting the Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest today. We get to list our top ten favorite movies.


My top ten movies:

1. An Education: I've seen this movie way too many times. It's a coming of age film that takes place in the 1960s. It's about a young girl named Jenny who becomes enamored with an older man and gets caught up in his "glamorous" lifestyle. I love it because it's the kind of story I'd love to tell.


2. Never Let Me Go: I read the book before seeing the movie and both took my breath away. It helped that three of my favorite actors starred in the film, Andrew, Carey, and Keira. If you haven't heard of it, it's from the point of view of a girl named Kathy H. Kathy isn't like other girls because she is a clone and so are the other children at her school and later the cottages. Kathy only exists for one reason: to donate her organs and then complete. It's a wonderful film.


3. The Awakening: It's one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time. It's so good I'm afraid I won't be able to explain it well. I'll give it a go anyway. A woman who doesn't believe in ghosts is invited to a boys boarding school that is supposedly haunted. While on her mission to prove that the school isn't haunted,  she begins to recall some astonishing truths about herself and one of the students there. There's a romance. It takes place in England in the 1920s. Fans of The Others will love it.


4. My Neighbor Totoro: One of the best animated movies I've seen hands down. It's on the quieter side with is why I love it. It explores two of my favorite themes, family and love.


5. Spirited Away: Spirited Away is one of the reasons I love Animes. It's a movie filled with magic and love. It doesn't get any better than that.


6. Alice in Wonderland (2010): You guys are already familiar with this story line I bet. I will never get tired of it. Johnny Depp is phenomenal in his role as the Mad Hatter. Off with their heads.


7. 500 Days of Summer:  Okay so I'm not the biggest romantic comedy fan but this one is so good. It's not so typical. Yes, boy meets girl. Boy loves girl, except girl doesn't love boy so much. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the main character and he's always nice to look at.


8. My Girl: I couldn't finish this list without including my favorite childhood movies. My Girl is my favorite childhood movie. It's another coming of age. It's probably the first movie that made me cry. It's a great movie to watch if you're writing for children even though it is older. The subject matter is always very timely.


9. Edward Scissorhands: This is the reason why Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors. You can't get any better than this. Thinking about this movie really makes me miss my childhood.


10. Beetlejuice: I will always love Beetlejuice and the Banana Boat Song.


Thanks for hosting, Alex. And thanks for stopping by.

24 comments:

  1. Awesome! Now I have two new movies to put on my "to watch" list. Thanks! (The Awakening and 500 Days of Summer.) I'm always in need of more movies BOTH my hubby and I will love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know you'll enjoy them. Thanks for the comment, Crystal!

      Delete
  2. You've got great movies on here! My Girl is such a good one! I haven't seen An Education yet, but it's on my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An Education is phenomenal. My Girl is a classic.

      Delete
  3. So many great choices here. The kids watch Totoro way too much around here, but I don't really mind. It's good to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to meet you, too. Totoro is a really sweet movie. I'm not surprised your kids love it.

      Delete
  4. Beetlejuice - such a crazy and hilarious film. I love Winona Ryder in it and the dinner party scene is simply wonderful. I haven't heard of your first three, so I shall have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! They are wonderful films with such universal themes.

      Delete
  5. 500 Days of Summer was a sweet film. Really liked the ending.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will always be on my list of favorite romantic comedies. And you're welcome!

      Delete
  6. Who doesn't love the Banana Boat Song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I haven't met a person who doesn't. :)

      Delete
  7. (500) Days of Summer is one of the most heartbreaking movies ever! And one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 500 days of summer and beetlejuice are sure favorites, great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! It didn't realize 500 Days of Summer was on everyone's list, too.

      Delete
  9. Great picks. I love Miyazaki movies, and Totoro is one of my absolute faves!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd totally forgotten My Girl. That was a wonderful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like Never Let me Go as well, although i think I like the book even more :)

    I still need to see an Education. Thanks for reminding me. I just reserved it at my library :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some good picks. (A lot I haven't seen though! I need to watch more movies.) I really like 500 Days of Summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen 500 Days of Summer. I really need to watch that. And I LOVED the newest Alice In Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some serious classics on this list! I loved My Girl and Beetlejuice as a kid. Edward Scissorhands is still a classic even today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just dropping by from the blog hop. I've seen most of the movies on your list so I quite enjoyed reading your picks. Lovely to have met you. :3

    ReplyDelete