Feb 28, 2013

A Few Things: Inciting Incidents, Querying, and Awards

Usually A Few Things is just a roundup of things I fell in love with over the week, but today I'll be changing it up a bit. Truthfully, I wasn't really around the internet earlier this week. I started volunteering at my local library and stocking shelves is a lot more tiring than it seems.

This week, like most weeks, writerly things have been plaguing my brain. These are a few of them.

1. When Things Change - I've noticed this trend in my writing or rather the way I write. I'll start a new project, write the first few hundred words, but then when I get to the moment where things change I'll take a long break. I know it's because I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kind of writer. Once I get to that moment I like to stop to think about where the stories going. I wonder if other pantsers do this.

2. First Lines & Chapters - I'm not the only writer who agonizes over her first lines. Over the past year my last WIP must have had several. And I used to think my first chapters where the bomb and there was no way I'd ever change them. Now I know better. My first chapters usually start with my main characters doing something really mundane like washing dishes. I've learned first chapter that don't move = boring.

Exhibit A:

Like a cat doused in water, Momma’s voice snaps me out of my daydream. And I’m not at the audition of my dreams anymore. I’m here at home in the filthy kitchen with my hands wrist deep in soapy dish water.

Washing dishes isn't the most exciting.

3. Obsessive Email Checking - This is indeed a side-effect of querying, a very common one. I know the whole querying process takes time but I can't seem to break this habit. Yesterday, I had this idea to create a daily schedule for myself. I feel like I need to make more time for other things like reading. I need to check my email less and read more.

4. Contests - I haven't entered any with my newly revised manuscript, but I love keeping up-to-date on them. Usually I'll go through the blog and subscribe to the entries I'm rooting for. There are a few contests coming up in March, so maybe  I'll try my hand.

5. Awards - Tara Tyler gave me and a few other bloggers the Very Inspiring Blogger award. Thank you so much, Tara. This is my first award for the year.


The Rules of the Award:
  • Display the award logo on your blog post. 
  • Link back to the person who nominated you. 
  • State 7 things about yourself. 
  • Nominate 15 bloggers to the award. 
  • Notify those bloggers of the nomination by linking to one of their specific posts so that they get notified by ping back.


Seven Random Facts About Me:

  • I love anything baked: cookies, cake, and pie. As long as it's sweet I'll have it.
  • I've been afraid of the dark for years now, which is probably because I love watching horror movies.
  • I won perfect attendance when I graduated the fifth grade. 
  • I've always been bad at math, but I want to get better.
  • I'm not the biggest fan of romantic comedies unless they can make me laugh.
  • I've never seen a Broadway show, but I'd like to.
  • I'm a proud Pisces rising.

I'm supposed to nominate 15 other bloggers, but since I know how busy some of you are I'll just list a few writers who I've met through blogging and are awesome. If they somehow come across this post they're welcome to participate. 



Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. I'm a write first, plot later type of gal too. But I've been really trying to get some story structure down first before writing. I'm halfway there I suppose... First lines are tough; I wonder how many the average writer tries out before one sticks? 30? :)
    good luck querying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I know what you mean about first lines and chapters, I agonise over my first few chapters and whether they are exciting enough. Thanks for nominating me, that's very sweet of you :) I hope I'll be able to put the post up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the award! :D

    I've been obsessively checking my email since I've been querying, too. It's such an addiction! Now that I've started a new WIP, I've started obsessing over it a little less. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to have a simple outline before I start writing most of the time...guess I'm not a pantser. I don't always stick to the plan though : ) Nice to meet you. I got the award too, and thought I'd check out the fellow nominees. You gained a new follower : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, congrats on the award! :D

    I know about the first-lines-problem, too LOL But I have stopped bothering too much with them on the fist draft. I usually start writing at the point where the story shifts from normal to action, so I know that I'll have at least one chapter before whatever starting-point I choose.
    That also omits that change-problem, because I start after the change LOL

    Good luck querying, love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH I love anything baked too! Well, I really love all food, but baked things are awesome.

    Good luck with querying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm with ya on the baked goods, not so much on the horror movies.

    The when things change thing? Yeah, I do that, too. Whether I plot or pants. Maybe it's a writer thing? Definitely a "great minds" thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete