Jan 11, 2013

The Best Is Yet To Come

There's a few days left before The Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest begins and I'm still revising. Actually, it's going pretty well. I've had help from two awesome beta readers who've pointed out things that I didn't notice or didn't think were much of a problem. The good news is, since I've revised this novel before there isn't a lot that needs fixing. The bad news is, I sometimes fall into the trap of striving for perfection.

So I remembered this quote I read on an astrological site. One of those sites where you put in your name, month, place, and time of birth and it gives you a free report--everything you need to know about you distilled into a few paragraphs. Here's what it said in reference to my career and vocation:

"You need not only to accept the gap between vision and reality, but also to let go of your work when it is good enough - for "good enough" may be the thing you need most to learn to recognize about your work."

- Liz Greene, Astrodienst

It isn't the most perfect quote, but there is a lot of truth to it. Though, at the same time, if there's anything I've learned from watching you guys get agents, book deals, and win contests it's PATIENCE--my word of choice for this year. I just have to find the right balance.

There were indeed some gems I discovered last year. They didn't all come out in 2012, but still. I'll be sharing them now in a very simple list of favorites.

On Writing


From Ordinary to Extraordinary Part 1Part 2

Reading

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Music 

Best Song: The Stable Song by Gregory Alan Isakove

We should write more songs like this.

Best Video: Featherstone by The Paper Kites

Best Newly Discovered Artist: Lisa Hannigan


Favorite Movies


Spirited Away

My Neighbor Totoro

TV (What I Watched)

Supernatural
True Blood
The Vampire Diaries
American Horror Story
The Walking Dead
Pretty Little Liars
The Lying Game

Favorite Non-Writing Blog


Maybe I'm cheating because she does write some really wonderful shorts. Here, here, and here.


That's all for now. Happy reading and writing!

8 comments:

  1. Great quote. I agree, lots of truth there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great quote that I'll have to memorize. :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the contest! Don't let perfection hold you back. Much easier said than done, but...you're totally on the right track with that quote. I could use to remember it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the shout-out, Tracey! (I'm Laura, the Shh.. Quiet Novels author.) It has been a lot of fun putting that mission out in the world and having people respond to it. I can't wait to start publishing quiet novels later this year. I'm just now accepting submissions and working out contract stuff and timelines, but I'm really excited about the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! It's really nice of you to stop by. I love when things like this happen. I'm glad that there are many people out there who love quiet novels. I know you'll find some amazing books. I'm excited for you.

      Delete
    2. It was so nice of you to link to my post, Tracey, and it's nice to "meet" you! Deciding to publish quiet novels was such an epiphany; I knew I didn't want to publish experimental fiction, because although many small presses carve out niches like that one, that's not what I like to read.

      Hurray for quiet novels, and thanks again.

      Delete
    3. Hurray for quiet novels, and thank you! :D

      Delete