Jan 14, 2013

Be Still My Heart: Contemporary 2013 & 2014

It's no secret that contemporary fiction is my favorite genre. Becoming a writer, finding my voice, and all that jazz has definitely shaped the way I read. A day or three ago I finally decided to take advantage of that handy Want To Read feature on Goodreads. Within a day, I'd added over 20 books to that list. Here are a few.


Contemporary On My To-Read List

  • Sing to the Wind by Jaye Robin Brown - I think I might have been a southern girl in my past life. I have a soft spot for books with a southern voice especially when they're done well. 
  • This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith - Jennifer E. Smith is the author of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, a book I've been meaning to get my hands on. What really made me want to read her latest book is the title. I'm a total sucker for a great title and the novel itself has been compared to You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle. No, I haven't seen them. But I am aware of them. 
       "If fate sent you an email, would you answer?"
  • All This Could End by Steph Bowe - I've stalked Steph's blog for over a year now, so when I heard about her new book I had to check it out. Her main character, Nina, and her family rob banks for a living. How great does that sound?
  • When You Were Here by Daisy Whitney - There are a few reviews up on Goodreads for this one and they're all pretty convincing. I must admit, I haven't read many books with a male POV and this book does sound right up my alley. It's described as being filled with humor, raw emotion, and a strong voice.
  • If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch - Emily's a writer whose writing I fell in like with after reading her blog. Her debut novel If You Find Me tells the story of Carey, a fifteen-year-old girl who lives hidden in a broken down camper in the national forest with her mentally ill mother and younger sister.
  • The Whole Stupid Way We Are by N. Griffin - There's a boy named Skint who won't wear a coat. It really sounds like a poignant and sweet read. 
  • Eleanor & Park and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I truly believe these books are for the romantics. They feature realistic and achingly sympathetic characters. The covers for both are two of the best this year and Rainbow recently posted her playlists for Eleanor & Park on her blog. Here, here, and here. Have a listen.
  • Fault Line by Christa Desir - I haven't read many books that deal with rape and how it affects the victim and those who care. I'm looking forward to this book.
  • Wild Awake by Hilary T. Smith - The cover is bright orange and splattered with purple. What's even better is the description of the book, which I'll say nails it. It's a novel that's described as capturing the messy glory of being alive.
  • Red by Alison Cherry - In ScarletVille red heads hold the power. That is an awesome premise.
  • Belonging by Karen Ann Hopkins - It's about an ordinary girl who falls in love with an Amish boy, another book for a hopeless romantic.
  • Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway - I think a lot of us find the possibility of falling in love with a childhood friend attractive. That's why this book caught my eye.

Of course there are a lot more contemporaries on my list and non-contemporaries as well. I'll blog about them one day. I'd love to know, what contemporary reads are you looking forward to?

16 comments:

  1. I love contemporary YA and there are so many amazing books coming out this year, I can't wait to get my hands on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Laura! I totally feel the same way.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree! I've got at least one contemporary for every month! O.O This year is going to be amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of reading one contemporary every month. :)

      Delete
  3. Goodness, I need to copy this list! It looks fabulous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contemp YA is my absolute favorite. I already have a few of these on my TBR list but I will check out the others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow contemporary writer. These books do sound too good to not have a second look. :D

      Delete
  5. I'd also like to add my friend Tess's book to the list - her contemporary YA comes out in 2014. It is told non sequentially (not in order) and sounds good. LOL Haven't read it yet but its called Far From you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rachel. Thanks for the recommendation. I just added it to my to-read list. I'll definitely be posting another list soon. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Oh Tracey - this totally made my day. I'm only now seeing it. Thank you SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I do really love when you stop by. :D

      Delete
  7. These are great picks! I'm adding them to the must-read pile now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a list! Wow! I'd have to go look at my Goodreads TBR list ;) haha

    ReplyDelete